This time of year our courtyard is a bird paradise. We work at sustainable landscaping in our courtyard and a few things have conspired together to create a haven for the birds to feed on and hang out in at this time of year.
- First, they love our fountain;
- Second, we have let our palm tree fruit, so there is lots of food;
- Third, there is a large bougainvillea bush next to the palm tree, the birds grab a palm date and eat it in the protection of the bougainvillea;
- The trees around the palm have matured so they act as a base for the birds waiting to eat, Mesquite, Palo Verde and Acacias;
- The palo verde provides food for the finches, they hang upside down on the tiny fringy leaves, amazing;
- There is also food for ground feeders as the dates fall;
- The decomposed granite makes for easy cleanup of excess fruit;
- The native plants are making a comeback from the summer, as are the succulents, aloes and agaves and provide a variety of food for the hummingbirds.
It’s been a great learning experience with sustainable landscaping and there is a surprise waiting for me in the garden, almost every day.
Here are some of my favorite recent visitors to the courtyard for your holiday enjoyment, the hummers are full-time residents, and some of our plants getting their winter color.
Happy Holidays and we wish you the best in the New Year.